In the event of lost or damaged materials, library users will be assessed the actual price as assigned in the lost-item record. If no price information is assigned, library users will be charged default replacement prices for library items that are lost or damaged beyond repair. Authorized OPL staff may make exceptions that is significantly different than the default replacement prices.
Overdue notices and billing
At the library, it's all about sharing. Materials that are kept out for long periods of time are not available to other library users. A small number of library users (fewer than 1 percent) do not return library materials or pay for their replacement. To efficiently handle these situations and reduce the amount of tax dollars spent locating or replacing missing items, the Oshkosh Public Library uses Unique Management Systems (UMS) to collect charges for unreturned library materials.
- The daily fine rate is $.10 per day/per item for adult material and $.05 per day/per item for children's materials except:
- Reference Material - $1.00 per day/ per item
- Interlibrary Loan Material - $1.00 per item/ per day
- eReaders - $1.00 per day
- The library will not charge fines for days when it is closed.
- The maximum fine is $5.00 per item for adult material except for reference and interlibrary loan material for which it is $10.00 per item. The maximum fine for children's material is $3.00 per item.