BYLAWS OF THE LIBRARY BOARD OF OSHKOSH, WISCONSIN
1. Pursuant to Section 43.54 of the Wisconsin State Statutes the Oshkosh Public Library Board of Trustees will consist of 9 members appointed by the Mayor with the concurrence of the City Council. One of these 9 members shall be the School District Administrator or his or her designee. Up to 2 additional members may be appointed by the County Executive under s. 43.60 (3).
2. Regular meetings shall be held on the last Thursday of each calendar month at 4:00 p.m. in the Meeting Room of the Oshkosh Public Library, or such other time or place as the Board or the Secretary may determine.
3. Special meetings may be held at any time at the call of the President or Secretary or at the call of any two members of the Board, provided that written notice thereof is given to all Board members at least 24 hours in advance of the special meeting.
4. A quorum at any meeting shall consist of five or more members of the Board.
5. The officers of the Board shall be a President, a Vice-President, and a Secretary. The term of office of the President and Vice-President shall commence upon their election at the first regular meeting in July of each calendar year and shall terminate upon the election of their successors at the first regular meeting in July of the following calendar year. The Library Director shall be the Secretary of the Board.
6. Duties of all officers shall be such as by custom and law and the rules of this Board usually devolve upon such officers in accordance with their names. The President shall appoint all Committees with the concurrence of the Board and shall be, ex-officio, a member of any committee. The President shall be entitled to vote on all matters in the same manner as all other board members.
a. A Finance Committee of three (3) trustees and up to two (2) members-at-large from the community will be appointed by the incoming President at the first regular meeting in July of each calendar year. The Finance Committee, with the addition of the Library Director, will act as the Investment Committee for library trust funds and will provide the Library Director with guidance on library financial matters as needed.
b. Service as a Trustee on the Winnefox Board shall be construed as a responsibility of OPL Trustees. The President shall recommend them for appointment by the County Executive in the same manner as other Committee assignments. No less than two (2) trustees from the Oshkosh Public Library Board shall serve as Winnefox Trustees at any given time.
c. Trustees appointed to the Winnefox System Board as citizen
representatives of Oshkosh shall be considered ex-officio non-voting members of the Oshkosh Public Library Board of Trustees. As such, they will be invited to attend all OPL Board meetings and placed on the mailing list to receive Library Board packets.
BYLAWS OF THE LIBRARY BOARD OF OSHKOSH, WISCONSIN Page 2
7. In order to avoid a problem reaching a quorum of the Board, trustees are encouraged to call the Administrative Office as soon as possible if they are unable to attend a scheduled meeting.
8. The order of business at all regular meetings of the Board shall be as follows:
Call to Order
Minutes of the previous meeting(s)
Monthly statistics report
Personnel changes report
Trustee Reports and Comments
9. The Library Director shall be the Executive Director of the policies adopted by the Board. Among his or her duties and responsibilities shall be the direction and supervision of all staff members in the performance of their duties, the submission to this Board of monthly and annual reports and recommendations to the Board of such policies and procedures as in the opinion of said Library Director will promote the efficiency of the Library and its service to the people of the community.
10. Amendments to these rules may be proposed at any regular meeting, but may become effective only after a favorable vote at the subsequent meeting. Any of the foregoing rules may be temporarily suspended by a unanimous vote of all of the trustees present at any meeting and a vote on such suspensions shall be taken by yeas and nays and entered in the official record.
11. Robert's Rules of Order shall be the official policy on parliamentary procedure. A current copy of said Rules shall be present at every meeting. The presiding officer of any such meeting shall consult said Rules prior to deciding any questions of order properly raised by a member of the Board.
As approved by the Library Board October 19, 1960 and amended November 18, 1964; May 19, 1982; October 20, 1982; May 27, 1986; September 19, 1989, and January 25, 1995, November 18, 1998; December 16, 1999, August 31, 2000 ; December 27, 2001 and July 25, 2013.