Overdue notices and billing
At the library, it's all about sharing. Materials that are kept out for long periods of time are not available to other library users. A small number of library users (fewer than 1 percent) do not return library materials or pay for their replacement. To efficiently handle these situations and reduce the amount of tax dollars spent locating or replacing missing items, the Oshkosh Public Library uses Unique Management Systems (UMS) to collect charges for unreturned library materials.
Notices for overdue materials
Customers receive notices that library items are overdue via automated phone calls or by e-mail. For your convenience, add your e-mail address to your library record to receive notices when items are due or overdue, when holds are ready to pick up, and when it is time to update your library card.
Phone call notices
The library now uses automated phone calls to notify customers when items are overdue instead of paper notices sent out by mail.
E-mail notices are sent three days before an item is due; or one day before an item with a shorter loan period is due (i.e. DVDs).
|Overdue Notices Schedule|
|Predue Notice||None||3 days; 1 Day for DVDs|
|1st Overdue Notice||4 Days||3 Days|
|2nd Overdue Notice||None||15 Days|
|Bill for unreturned item||30 Days; US Mailed||30 Days|
|Second bill notice||None||37 Days-US Mailed|
|Bill referred to a Collection Agency
and a $15 non-refundable fee is charged to the user
|45 Days||45 Days|
|1st Letter sent from Collection Agency||46 Days||46 Days|
|2nd Letter sent from Collection Agency||67 Days||67 Days|
|1st Collection Agency phone call||81 Days||81 Days|
|3rd Letter sent from the Collection Agency||109 Days||109 Days|
|Report to national credit bureaus||165 Days||165 Days|
Please make sure the phone number listed in your library account is current and correct to ensure that you received the necessary notices.
Paying fines and fees
- The Oshkosh Public Library accepts cash or credit card payments at the library or online.
- The $15 UMS fee and any overdue fines must be paid even if you return the item after being contacted by UMS.
- If you are contacted by UMS and do not remember which items have not been returned, contact the library at 236-5203.
- If you are contacted by UMS on our behalf, and you question the accuracy of the bill, please contact the library at 236-5203.
Privacy & Responsibility
- UMS, the collection agency, receives only the patron identification information and amount owed. They do not get information about which titles the patron has checked out.
- Library users are responsible for all use made of their card until it has been reported as lost or stolen to the Oshkosh Public Library Circulation Department.